Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Oath

I have finally met a doctor who upholds the Hypocratic Oath in every way. He is a man of knowledge, compassion, care and concern. Infertility is not a fun ride to be on, but our lives are richer for having Dr. J. Ricardo Loret De Mola in it. At first I was afraid to go see him. I have always been a girl that liked female docs, going to a man was intimidating enough. To spill our guts about our bedroom habits was almost too much to bear. I'd heard he was the best, so all that fear had to get put aside. A child is the one thing I want more than anything in life and if he was going to help me get it, then I didn't care. We've been going to Ricardo for almost 9 months....kind of ironic, with no success and only onr stumbling block after another. He has been supportive at every turn. I've never before been hugged and kissed on the top of my head by a doctor, but last week, after an especially painful meeting he did just that. A simple gesture, but one from the heart. Who knows how many countless other women he has done that too. He can't imagine what it means. He has seen us through 4 inseminations, 1 surgery, and now secondary (male) infertility. He wants us to be pregnant.......sometimes more than I think I do because this has all been so painful for me. He remains optimistic when I can no longer be. He wants to pursue when sometimes I just want to stop all the medical insanity. He is honest and genuine. He is everything a doctor should be and more. He is how I'd want my son --if there ever is one of those---to turn out. Somewhere his family should be proud of him, not just because he is the top doc in his field, but for the man he is.

No comments: